***Biedermann, S. and Dolezel, D. (2017) Introduction to Healthcare Informatics (2nd Edition). Chicago: AHIMA Press. ISBN-13: 978-1-58426-528-3***
Important groundwork has to be done ahead of any information system change in a healthcare organization. Information system change is an opportunity to revise or develop a coherent model of how information will flow and be used throughout an organization. It is also a good time to review and consider additional key security components, particularly as healthcare organizations grow through merger and acquisition. In this assignment, you will respond to the questions below to develop your understanding of some of these important considerations.
You may use course materials and other sources to develop your answers. The purpose of the assignment is two-fold:
- To help you understand some of the information infrastructure in use today.
- To help develop your ability to see HIT in the context of the healthcare organization
This is an individual assignment and your work is expected to be your own.
Please respond to the questions below. You can start with your course materials and reach out to other trusted resources as needed. Please remember that while we all love it, Wikipedia is not considered a trusted or scholarly resources. Also, please be sure to explore the questions in an appropriate level of detail given the Evaluation Criteria. A short answer will not be worth 20 points.
- Describe the term Architectural Models and give an example of a modeling approach a growing healthcare organization could consider using. Explain why you think the model you recommend would be a good fit. (pg 107)
- Define Mobile Computing and describe one benefit and one challenge an organization would experience if they decide to integrate Mobile Computing in their Architectural Model. Also discuss one legal concern they would face. (pg 112)
- As a part of implementing an Architectural Model, a Firewall can help protect an organization. Explain what a Firewall is and what purposes it would serve for an organization. Also describe what its main functions are.
- As a part of implementing an Architectural Model, a VPN can help protect an organization. Explain what a VPN is and what purposes it would serve for an organization? Also, describe how a VPN would work with Mobile Computing. (pgs 118-9)
- Define Cloud Computing and describe one benefit and one challenge an organization would experience if they decide to integrate Cloud Computing in their Architectural Model Also describe one NIST established essential Cloud Computing characteristic that you feel is important for an organization to consider and why.
Assignment Organizational and Formatting Guidelines
On the title page of your report please put your name, the course number and the following honor pledge: “On my honor as a student I swear that I have neither given or received assistance on this assignment.”
Each report should demonstrate scholarly writing and use of appropriate references and in-text citations. You will need at a MINIMUM of 5 references from course materials and scholarly sources for this assignment. The in-text citation and reference formatting should conform to the specifications in the publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.).
Logical flow, clarity of presentation, correct grammatical structure, and correct spelling should be evident throughout. The paper should be proofread and free of typographical errors. Don’t forget that spell check doesn’t always work for correctly spelled words that are a mistake in a sentence.
The length of each paper should be between 3-4 pages, typed in a 12-point font. Length refers to the text and does not include the title page or the reference pages. Use one-inch margins top, bottom, left, and right. Use double-spacing only. Do not make lists in the paper; write in paragraph form, using the guidelines for seriating in the APA manual. Do not use quotes, unless for definitions or particular emphasis; paraphrase instead. Use third person, not first (I, we, etc is not acceptable). Write objectively, not subjectively. Express your professional opinion based on fact.
Please use only the questions given above as headings for your paper. Subheadings should be used for each individual question.
You may use course materials and other sources to develop your answers.
Method of Evaluation
|Spelling, grammar, following organizational requirements||10|