Fill in the Blank
the terms listed below, complete the following:
- ___________ group receives treatment in an experimental design.
- ___________ group does not receive treatment in an experimental
- A ___________ design has many observations on a single case or a
- When separate groups of subjects receive different levels of the
independent variable, this is referred to as _____________ design.
- When all subjects receive all levels of the independent variable,
this is referred to as ____________ design.
- When the researcher measures a behavior that needs to be changed
and then applies therapy and measures the behavior again, this is referred
to as _____________ design.
- When the researcher measures a behavior that needs to be changed,
applies therapy and measures the behavior again, and then removes the
treatment and measures the behavior again, this is referred to as
- When the criterion outcome changes over time this is referred to
as _______________ design.
- When measuring several behaviors or several people with baseline
periods of varying lengths and an independent variable occurs, this is
referred to as a ______________ design.
- When subjects are not randomly assigned and not all variables are
under the control of the presenter, this is referred to as ______________
Baseline B. Small n C. AB
D. Control E. Experimental F. ABA
G. Between Subject H. Quasi-Experimental I. Changing Criterion
J. Within Subject
Read the following scenarios and match each scenario with
the correct type of experimental design.
- _____ Two classes of
children are studied regarding the effects of a new teaching method in
science. One group received the new
method of instruction, while the other group uses the standard,
traditional method of instruction. Both classes are measures for
achievement before and after the teaching methods.
- _____ Divide your subjects
in half. One group receives one
treatment of the independent variable and the other group receives a
different treatment of the independent variable. Subjects were all told
they were going to see a video of a therapist’s session after which they
would rate the quality of the session. The groups differed in that the
subjects in one group were told that prior evaluations indicated that the
therapist was effective whereas subjects in the other group were told that
the evaluations indicated the therapist was not effective. These different
subjects were used for the two levels of the independent variable:
subjects were in either the “effective therapist” or the
“ineffective therapist” condition.
- _____ All subjects perform
at all levels of the independent variable. Subjects diagnosed as having attention
deficit disorder were each tested on a concentration task after receiving
medication. All subjects were tested four times, once after receiving one
of the four doses. Each subject was tested under eachof the four levels of the independent variable-dose of
- _____ A small group is
measured for the amount of anxiety they experience in math class
(baseline). They are taught a
relaxation method and measured again to measure anxiety in math class.
- _____ To study verbal commands in canines, during week 1 the
baseline is recorded for how many times a dog chased a cat. During week 2, dog was verbally scolded
(treatment) when the dog chased the cat, and the chasing behavior was
recorded. During week 3, the
chasing behavior was recorded without the verbal scolding (treatment).
A. Between-Subjects Design B.
AB Design C.
D. ABA Design E.