Privacy & Confidentiality
Privacy and Confidentiality issues arise in a wide range of contexts and scenarios. After reading the background materials and conducting individual research of the literature, discuss how health care workers can best reconcile their obligation to protect patient privacy and maintain confidentiality in light of criminal activity by the patient.
You may use the following as a springboard to further research:
Merril Pauls, Andrew McRae, Sam G Campbell, Paul Dungey. (2004). Ethics in the trenches: Part 2. Case studies of ethical challenges in emergency medicine. CJEM : Journal of the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians, 6(5), 363-6.
- Define the debate over the ethical issue of patient privacy and confidentiality including the role of competing rights held by the patient and by the community.
- Discuss applicable ethical theories and principles
- Limit your response to a maximum of three pages, not including title and reference pages.
- Please support your discussions with scholarly support (3-5 references). Be sure to properly cite all references.
- Be sure to apply citical thinking skills within your discussions and response to the case study assignment. I will grade your paper on your ability to address the assignment criteria listed above with depth and breadth of discussion. I will also critique your writing format (i.e. proper reference citations, spacing, etc.).
Your paper will be evaluated based on the rubric criteria.