Case Study 3: Security
Due Week 7 and worth 100 points
A large, fast-food chain unveiled a new touch screen register for its
franchises. Each cashier was assigned a user id and password combination to log
in to the register. The system allowed the incorrect password to be entered four
(4) times before the register would lock and require a manager to unlock it with
a key card. To prevent unauthorized access, the registers would lock after three
(3) minutes if the screen was not touched. When the register locked, only the
cashier who was logged in prior to it locking could unlock it without a system
After a few days in operation, restaurant managers started complaining
about the amount of time they were spending unlocking the registers. Some
cashiers were forgetting their user Id and password, so other cashiers would log
in for them. It also seemed that the button layout made it easy for the cashiers
to key in the incorrect password. The managers also complained that cashiers
would leave for a break or end their shift and forget to log out of the locked
register. The managers would have to reboot the system, a three to five (3-5)
minute process in order for the next cashier to log in. Additionally, managers
noticed that grease was building up on the touch screens, making them less
Write a five to eight (5-8) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the new system and determine the design issues with this new
- Describe how you would correct the design issues with the system to make the
restaurant managers happy.
- Create a design plan that:
- Lists and explains the tasks associated with improving this interface.
- Contains at least six (6) tasks.
- Includes realistic time estimates for each task to be completed.
- Analyzes the development of the system in your plan.
- Analyzes the testing of the system in your plan.
- Analyzes the implementation of the system in your plan.
- Examine how this system balanced security and usability, and explain the
challenges of incorporating system security and system usability into a
- Suggest changes that could be made to the security of this system to still
meet security objectives but make the system more usable.
- Use Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative, Dia, to create a
graphical representation of your proposed interface. Note: The graphically
depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia
and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of
their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed
diagrams/charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Describe the usability properties of interactive systems.
- Describe the inherent design issues across HCI environments
- Develop an interface `
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in
- Write clearly and concisely about HCI topics using proper writing mechanics
and technical style conventions.