Reading material is attached. Total word count should be 1000 words. 3 scholory sources APA style
Chapter 13 -The Old Testament Story
Prov. 1-9, 22-24; Job; Ecclesiastes; Psalms 1, 8, 22, 23, 32, 45, 51, 74,116, 117, 119, 139
1. How did the Egyptian “Instruction of Amenemopet” influence the Israelite book of Proverbs?
2. What is the role of Satan in Job 1 and 2?
3. Why is Ecclesiastes called skeptical wisdom?
4. What evidence suggests that the book of Psalms is a collection of songs produced over a long period of time?
5. What are the various ways readers might understand the designation Qoheleth?
The Time of Silence: Judah in Eclipse
Chapter 14 -The Old Testament Story
Ruth, Esther, Daniel
6. Identify Ptolemies, the Seleucids, Antiochus the Great, and Antiochus Epiphanes.
7. What position concerning Jewish ethnicity does the book of Esther support?
8. Why do some interpreters view the book of Ruth as a response the marriage policies in Ezra and Nehemiah?
9. What were the viewpoints of the universalists and the particularists in post-Exilic Judaism? What conditions gave rise to these opposing views?
10. What are the two major divisions of the book of Daniel?
The Continuing Story
Chapter 15 – The Old Testament Story
Go to the website http://www.deadseascrolls.org.il/home and spend some time reviewing some of the documents found in the caves at the Dead Sea site. Read about the collection and learn why they are so important still today.
Also Read: Dead Sea Scrolls
11. How were the Samaritans related to Judaism?
12. Why is the Dead Sea Scrolls set identified as an apocalyptic group?
13. Why is it not completely accurate to speak of the Apocrypha as extrabiblical literature?
14. Why does the Protestant Old Testament not include the books of the Apocrypha?
15. What do the Dead Sea Scrolls contribute to our knowledge of the Bible and first-century B.C.E. Judaism?