Cognitive dissonance is a state of disequilibrium between two or more
conflicting cognitions (e.g., beliefs, behaviors, or values). This
assignment will allow you to explore the connection between
self-attribution and cognitive dissonance.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Instructors will be using a grading rubric to grade the assignments.
It is recommended that learners review the rubric prior to beginning
the assignment in order to become familiar with the assignment criteria
and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing
assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly
research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text
citation from each source be included.
Write a paper of 1,000-1,250 words that describes the connection
between self-attribution and cognitive dissonance. Include the following
in your paper:
- A summary of the research regarding the theoretical and empirical
approaches to understanding the mental processes of self-attribution and
cognitive dissonance. (Benchmarks C 3.2: Analyze theoretical and
empirical approaches to understanding mental processes.)
- A discussion of how nature and nurture influence self-attribution
and thereby affect cognitive development. (Benchmarks C 3.1: Critically
analyze the influence of nature and nurture on cognitive development.)
- A discussion of why individuals are motivated to resolve cognitive dissonance and how this is related to self-attribution.