PLEASE COMPLETE ALL PARTS
Standardized tests can provide a way for states, districts, teachers and parents to compare and contrast student learning. However, one of the unintended setbacks is that many teachers begin to “teach to the test”. Suggest at least one (1) alternative way to assess student learning which would accurately measure this learning but would also allow for comparisons across students, schools and districts. Provide a rationale and support for your response. Respond to at least one other student.
Watch this Ted Talk Video. It was shared with me and I want to pass it on to you. It is wonderful! https://www.ted.com/talks/drew_dudley_everyday_leadership
“We have all changed someone’s life — usually without even realizing it. In this funny talk, Drew Dudley calls on all of us to celebrate leadership as the everyday act of improving each other’s lives. Share your Lollipop Moment – have you made someone’s life fundamentally better with just a small remark?” Tell me what you think about this video
- Review the article titled “Key Shifts in Mathematics“. Next, describe at least two (2) significant differences between the approach to teaching mathematics shown in the article and the approach used when you were a student. Take a position on whether or not the new Common Core State Standards for Mathematics are a step in the right direction towards better preparing U.S. students for college and careers. Provide a rationale for your position. Respond to at least one other student. http://www.corestandards.org/other-resources/key-shifts-in-mathematics/
- Review the video titled “Arkansas Mother Obliterates Common Core in 4 Minutes” (4 min 21 s). Click here to view the video if it is not playing below. Next, imagine that you are the Chair of the Board of Education for the district in this video. Prepare a response to the parent’s concerns regarding Common Core. Use the readings for this week as a reference, and provide a rationale for your response. Respond to at least one other student https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZEGijN_8R0
Please watch this fantastic video about SAS a North Carolina company that has created a strong and positive “organizational culture” or the “way they do business within the company.” Let me know what you think about the many benefits this company offers to its employees. By the way, this is a private or for-profit company meaning this is not a publicly traded company. Tell me what you think about this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsIcwHavOs
- Review the video titled “Hear their stories: Students discuss school funding cuts” (3 min 4 s). Click here to view the video if it is not playing below. Next, evaluate the importance of school funding from the perspective of a parent. Select the top three (3) programs that you believe should receive funding in your public school district. Suggest how you could go about influencing decision-makers to agree with your funding priorities. Provide rationales for each of your selections. Respond to at least one other student. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682okXq59Rw
“Hierarchy is a way to structure an organization using different levels of authority and a vertical link or chain of command, between superior and subordinate levels of the organization. Higher Levels control Lower Levels of the Hierarchy.” Do you know what type of organizational structure your company has flat or tall? How would you describe the “culture” or the work environment at your company? Can you count or identify the number of layers or level of managers or supervisors between your position and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and/or President of the Company? Where do you fit in within the organization? Meaning, are you an entry level, mid-management or upper management? Send me your answers
- Review the video titled “Principal Kafele Talks School Climate and Culture in U.S. Education” (4 min 35 s). Click here to view the video if it is not playing below. Next, choose the perspective of one of the following: student, teacher, administrator, or parent. From this perspective, propose at least two (2) steps that you could take in order to help to build a positive school climate in your home school district. Speculate on the main outcomes of your proposal. Include specific examples or scenarios to support your response. Respond to at least one other student.
As you prepare to apply your leadership skills at home, work, and school which type of leader are you? Watch this video and share your thoughts. Send me your detailed answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddt_IGMMOrI
- Review the video titled “Mother says cyber-bullying drove 12-year-old daughter to commit suicide” (2 min 27 s). Click here to view the video if it is not playing below. Next, take a position on whether or not the fifteen (15) middle school students accused of bullying the victim on social media should be charged with cyber stalking. Provide a rationale for your position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTndM0IXMoI
Did you know that you can prepare your own Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) Personal Analysis? What is a SWOT Analysis? Watch this video and tell me what you think and prepare a brief SWOT Analysis identifying your own strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats