Discussion Topics for “To Room Nineteen:
1. In what way is “To Room Nineteen” about a “failure in intelligence”? What does intelligence mean to this story? How does intelligence keep Matthew and Susan from experiencing fuller lives?
2. Why is Susan unhappy in her marriage? Is her husband to blame? Motherhood? Does it have to do with quitting her job? Do social beliefs about marriage and parenthood stifle both men and women equally?
3. The narrator tells us that Susan “was filled with emotions that were utterly ridiculous, that she despised.” Why does Susan despise her emotions?
4. Why does Susan rent the dingy room in the London hotel? What does the room mean to her and discuss how you think
this story is influenced by Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own.
5. Why do you think Susan decides to commit suicide?
Must read article here