PAPER 1: VETERINARY COMPUTER SOFTWARE
More veterinary clinics and hospitals are now using computers for day-to-day operations, and computer software companies are continuously developing and upgrading programs foruse in veterinary medicine. Knowledge of computers and computer software is becoming necessary for all hospital staff: the receptionists, hospital and office managers, the veterinarians, vet technicians, assistants, and kennel workers.Computers and specialized veterinary management software can improve efficiency by keeping up with inventory, printing labels and certificates, performing accounting, storing patientfiles, and so on. Youâ€™ll research three (3) different brands of veterinary management software. Compare and contrast these brands and write a research paper that includes, but isnâ€™t limited to, thefollowing information:
1. Names of the three brands of software that youâ€™ve chosen and a brief description of each of them
2. Information about the companies who make the software
3. Pros and cons of each software packageâ€”What does each program do or not do?
4. How are technical support issues handled?
5. Discuss what kind of contingency plan each companyhas to handle system failure/recovery
6. Is installation of the server and other hardware provided?
7. Are updates to software automatic, or do they need to be requested?
8. Include office functions, like reminders, accounting, billing, inventory control, and so on
9. Is the system able to import lab results directly from the laboratory into the medical record?
10. If describing a cloud-based software system, youâ€™re still required to provide all of the information above as it relates to the cloud-based system.
PAPER 2: INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
Veterinary technicians are inundated with questions every day. These questions come from clients and coworkers. Because of this, veterinary technicians need to be good listeners and good communicators. In your own words, describe techniques for being a good listener. What would you do to clarify what a client or coworker is saying to you? Also, describe some ways that you can communicate so that a client or coworker will listen to and fully understand what youâ€™re saying. Give examples that relate to dealing with clients/coworkers in a hospital setting: discharging a surgical patient, euthanasia, and so on.
Be sure to include
1. Use a word processing program, like Word, Word Perfect, or Open Office. The research papers must be typewritten.
2. Each title page should contain the following information:a. The Title: Veterinary Office Management Research Projectb. Your namec. Your student numberd. The date your project was submitted
3. Each paper should be easy to read with appropriate font, double-spacing, correct spelling, grammar, and sentence and paragraph structure. You should use proper APA format for your reference citations.
4. Each research paper should include at least three references. The information must be supported by trustedveterinary medical publications and websites. You can use your Penn Foster Veterinary Office Management study units for assistance, but they shouldnâ€™t be your main source of data. Donâ€™t use sites like Wikipedia.
5. If you donâ€™t have prior experience writing research papers, the Penn Foster Library offers assistance in writing a research paper and citing references.
6. Plagiarism is taking any part of a published piece of work and using it as your own. This also applies to those sections where you might change the wording slightly or periodically interject personal comments. This also applies to sections in which whole paragraphs or pages were quoted from a source. Plagiarism is unacceptable at Penn Foster College.