Research Experience #2
Due at the end of Week 4 (not eligible for late policy unless an approved documented exception).
Information surrounds us, but have you considered that the information may be unreliable?
Research Experience #2 requires you to examine the quality of information you encounter each day. Find a news story published in the last month (online news article, social media post, or magazine article). Provide a link to the story/post and write a 25-40 word summary. Then research the information in the article.
Finally, make a judgment (25-40 words) about the reliability of the information provided including the quality of the sourceâ€™s reputation, the overall trustworthiness of the story, and whether you would be comfortable telling the story to a trusted friend.
In order to receive credit for completing this task you must:
â€¢Include a viable link to the online resource you find
â€¢Provide a 25-40 word summary of the online resource that shows complete understanding
â€¢Research the information contained within the online resource to the best of your ability
â€¢Write a 25-40 word judgment about the reliability of the information provided as detailed above
This is a pass/fail assignment. All elements must be completed (simulating the workplace where incomplete work is unacceptable) for credit. You cannot receive partial credit.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Plan, create, and evaluate argumentative essays and other research documents.
- Analyze rhetorical examples to assist in revision and learning.
- Write clearly, coherently, and persuasively using proper grammar and mechanics, and formatting appropriate to the situation.
- Deliver relevant information to various audiences using appropriate tone, style, and format.
- Learn research fundamentals and academically evaluate source materials.
- Develop research skills for use in the academic and professional environment.