Watch this short video clip as an example of satire: https://youtu.be/V7T6CAKUVJ4. What is satirical about this clip? In other words, what is the point? Why was this made?
Second question has to do with the questions below with the following articles:
Shock Article 1
LSD and the Baptisms of Tahquitz Canyon by Lane Severson, The Curator
Satire Article 1
Area Man Passionate Defender of What He Imagines Constitution to Be by Anonymous,
Satire Article 2
I Donâ€™t Vaccinate My Child because itâ€™s My Right to Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back by Andrea Martin, The Onion
Follow-up Questions to the Selected Readings
(Quote by Kant)
1. Do you agree with the quote by Kant?Why or why not?
(LSD and the Baptisms of Tahquitz Canyon)
2. Is there something about the way this article was written that makes you feel uncomfortable?If so, can you define it?
3. Was there an aspect of this article that made you consider (at least think about) a connection between psychedelic drugs and religion?If so, what aspect?
4. Do you think it is appropriate to mix theology and pop culture, in writing or in practice?Why or why not?
(Area Man Passionate Defender of What He Imagines Constitution to Be)
5. What is satirical about this article?
6. Do you know people like Kyle Mortensen?If so, how do you respond to them when they make remarks such as in the article?
7. Have YOU ever read the Constitution?Does this article make you want to read it?
(I Donâ€™t Vaccinate My Child because itâ€™s My Right to Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back)
8. What types of feelings did you have when reading this article?
9. If you are in favor of mandatory immunizations, did reading this article strengthen your convictions â€“ why or why not?Or if you are opposed to mandatory immunizations, did you agree with the satirical arguments in this article opposing them â€“ why or why not?
10. Do you think this type of satirical news article serves a purpose as news and education?Why or why not?
11.Have you been exposed to these types of articles in the past?