“Ethical Scenario Paper” Assignment Description: write a 4-page (double spaced) essay that outlines the strongest arguments for two sides – argue each side of the issue â€œ: Is it ethically permissible for Hobby Lobby, a Christian-based company, to deny health coverage because of religious beliefs for employees although the Affordable Care Act requires insurance to cover it (i.e. birth control)?â€ Identify the worldview commitments that might lead to each conclusion, and explain why. Demonstrate the connections between worldview commitments and ethical choices. identify what you believe are the strongest arguments for two different perspectives, and discern how different worldview commitments affect one’s decision. Then, build your case, using the best evidence and strongest arguments. Your research should include course textbooks and materials, the Bible, books, and articles (see suggestions below).Finally, state and support your own position, using the best evidence and strongest arguments. Use and cite resources sufficiently.
Suggested sources for research:
- The ESV Study Bible. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008. (See articles on biblical ethics, pages 2535-2560). Also available online at www.esvonline.org
- Feinberg, John S. and Paul D. Feinberg. Ethics for a Brave New World, 2nd Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2010.
- Holmes, Arthur F. Ethics: Approaching Moral Decisions. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1984.
- Mitchell, C. Ben. Ethics and Moral Reasoning: A Studentâ€™s Guide. Wheaton: Crossway, 2013.
- Moore, Russell. Onward: Engaging the Culture without Losing the Gospel. Nashville: B&H, 2015.
- Murray, John. Principles of Conduct: Aspects of Biblical Ethics. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1957.
- Platt, David. Counter-Culture. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House, 2015.
- Rae, Scott. Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethics. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009.
- Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission (Twitter: @ERLC): http://erlc.com/topics/list/ (Links to an external site.)
- First Things Magazine: http://www.firstthings.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- The Gospel Coalition (click â€œchannelsâ€ tab): http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/projects (Links to an external site.)
- The Light Magazine: http://erlc.com/erlc/light (Links to an external site.)
- BreakPoint Commentaries: http://www.breakpoint.org/bpcommentaries/breakpoint-commentaries-archive (Links to an external site.)
- Canon & Culture Magazine (Twitter @canonandculture): http://www.canonandculture.com/ (Links to an external site.)