Unwrapping the ELA Standards
Successful teachers analyze grade-specific state or national academic content standards as they prepare instruction. By analyzing these standards at grade level, as well as above and below grade level, educators gain clear insight into the skills their students must master to be successful in their future. By unwrapping the standards, teachers move students toward greater understanding, help them be successful in the next grade, and ultimately lead students to enhanced independence in their learning.
Complete the â€œUnwrapping the ELA Standards Templateâ€ for the topic assignment:
- Select a K-8 grade level of your choice.
- Identify the state or national ELA content standards for your chosen grade level associated with the reading, writing, and listening and speaking strands.
- Find the corresponding ELA standard for the previous grade level, as well as the grade level that follows.
For each standard identified, complete the following:
- Bold the nouns or noun phrases (e.g., the concepts that students need to know).
- Highlight the verbs or verb phrases (e.g., the skills students need to be successful).
- Describe one instructional strategy or activity, per ELA standard, aligned to the identified standards.
- In a 100-150 word rationale, explain how each instructional strategy or activity encourages complex thinking and problem-solving.
Support your findings with 2-3 scholarly resources.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.