Read The Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant http://acad.depauw.edu/~jeremyanderson/old/120s05/120z_kant.html
and answer the following 6 questions.
1.Why may judicial punishment not be administered merely as a means to promote the good of the criminal or the good of society?
2. In a public court, by what principle should the quality and quantity of punishment be determined?
3. Why does justice demand that every murderer be executed?
4. In the hypothetical case of a rebellion against the government by both honorable and base persons, why would it be better to execute all the rebels than to sentence them all to penal servitude for life?
5. When murder has been committed by a large number of accomplices, in what circumstances is it permissible not to execute the murders?
6. Should the death penalty continue to be used as a means on punishment?