USA PATRIOT Act
Read The New York Times’ article titled “Battle Looms Over the Patriot Act”, located at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/us/politics/20patriot.html?pagewanted=print, and the Highlights of the USA PATRIOT Act in an article titled “The USA PATRIOT Act: Preserving Life and Liberty”, located at http://www.justice.gov/archive/ll/highlights.htm.
Write a two to four (2-4) page paper in which you:
- Describe how the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act grants law enforcement and intelligence officials special powers to combat terrorism.
- Explain in your own words the two (2) different views of the USA PATRIOT Act and why some believe it is inappropriate legislation.
- Consider the Act and determine whether you believe that law enforcement and intelligence officials should have the authority granted to them in the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the foundations of homeland security.
- Describe counterterrorism and anti-terrorism laws in the United States.
- Analyze the role of intelligence and counterterrorism activities among federal agencies.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in homeland security.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to Homeland Security Organization and Administration using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.