The purpose of this assignment is to help prepare you for a career in accounting. You will complete two Career Preparation Assignments in this course. The first one is due at the end of Topic 3 and the second will be due at the end of Topic 7.
Select two of the options below, and complete one during the first half of your course and the other during the second half of your course. Each assignment requires a paper of 750-1,000 words, citing at least two external sources. The event must take place during the current semester.
- Go to a professional association meeting, such as a local chapter meeting of the Institute of Management Accountant (IMA), Accounting and Financial Women’s Alliance (AFWA), or your state board of accountancy. Explain what you learned from this meeting and how this will influence your accounting career.
- Research a professional license, certification, or designation related to accounting. Explain what you learned from your research and how this will influence your accounting career.
- Create a LinkedIn profile, or update your current profile (www.linkedin.com). Connect with your instructor and your fellow classmates. Explain why networking through LinkedIn is beneficial and how it will impact your career.
- Complete the Career Services Accounting Internship Checklist through the Career Services Department at GCU. Explain what you learned through this process and how it will influence your job search. Include a scan of your completed and signed checklist as an appendix to your paper.
- Go to a GCU Accounting Society meeting on campus. Explain what you learned from this meeting and how this will influence your accounting career.
- Go to a special event on campus that is related to accounting or business, such as “Meet the Firms” or “Road to the CPA.” Explain what you learned from this event and how this will influence your accounting career.
- Find an Excel tutorial online, and complete the tutorial. Explain what you learned by completing the tutorial and how this will help you in your accounting career. Be sure to include the link to the specific tutorial that you complete, and if a certificate of completion is available, embed that in your paper.
- Complete the GCU Career Compass, located at https://students.gcu.edu/student-resources/student-success/ace-centers/career-resources.php. Explain what you learned by completing the Career Compass and how this will help you in determining your career path. Please note, the GCU Career Compass pertains to OnGround students only.
- Participate in other activities as directed by the instructor.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.